May 4, 2009

Christopher Cross

My sister-in-law recently asked me to name my all-time favorite love songs. That will take some time to think. But ask me to name my five favorite Christopher Cross songs? Now that comes easy.

1. "Sailing." Have opening guitar lines ever instantly transported you to serenity like this? I didn't think so.
2. "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)." Did that rascal Arthur really deserve a song this big and this good? Probably not. And I know, I know: how does a voice like that come from a guy like that? You may call it irony but I prefer to call it true genius.
3. "Think of Laura." I just started to cry. Spontaneous crying.
4. "All Right." I remember driving home one night from my girlfriend's (now my wife's) house and this song suddenly appeared on the radio (well, not exactly suddenly; I was listening to some adult contemporary stuff, hoping for early eighties, right in the sweet spot) and I started singing, hoping, and even believing. Mr. Cross was right. We were gonna make it.
5. "Never Be The Same." The next time you're at the dentist and this beauty comes on . . . well, I hope the drill doesn't drown out the chorus. You will be humming it long after the numbness goes away.

I really do like these songs. Even love may not be too strong a word. And I think the Grammy's actually got it right for once when the voters awarded Christopher Cross' 1980 debut "Album of the Year" over a little known record called Pink Floyd's The Wall. Stay classy Chris. All the best.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Best that yu can do" is an awesome song! Good choice there D!

Shelley Reid said...

Everything did turn out alright didn't it! Was this the night that my Dad got mad at me for sitting on your lap a week before we got married?

Sarah Ward said...

I am a D Man fan! Thanks for the great web site. You have some great choices in music to share.
I am still waiting for you to acknowlege one the the best, Van Morrison. Until then, I do not know if you deserve to be added to my blog list. Okay, okay, I will do it, but only because you chose a great Mrs.

The D Man said...

Response to Viwe: The fact that a black dude from South Africa knows how to get caught between the moon and New York City says enough.

Response to Shelley: Probably!

Response to Sarah: Glad you like the site. And since my memory and music are so incredibly aligned, I now recall your Mom piping some Van Morrison through the speakers before social dance class in the upstairs gym. I will give the Irish Dandy a special shout-out in the near future.

Gavin said...

I can't listen to "Sailing" without immediately thinking of the episode from Growing Pains where Mike Seaver meets the love of his life in Hawaii. Maybe that's why I like the song so much.

The D Man said...

Mike Seaver finally received mention in this blog and, frankly, it was long overdue.