July 29, 2010

Classic D Man

Lifes Rich Pageant

The D Man has been reinvesting in his early R.E.M. catalog. Seeking lyrical elegance. Melodic refuge. Arguably the definitive American band of the past 30 years, R.E.M. are the inspired fathers of indie-rock and have a story arc almost unparalleled given such an incredible trajectory across so many great albums. While driving home tonight and listening to the song below, I remembered what makes this band so special. For a fleeting moment, I thought I might be listening to the finest song ever recorded. At the very least, you should enjoy "I Believe" from the band's fourth album Lifes Rich Pageant. A brilliant song unlike anything else. Call it a friendly reminder. (Lyrics provided below, because as you might know, you won't find them in the liner notes).


When I was young and full of grace
And spirited, a rattlesnake
When I was young and fever fell my spirit
I will not tell
You're on your honour not to tell

I believe in coyotes and time as an abstract
Explain the change
The difference between
What you want and what you need
There's the key
Your adventure for today
What do you do between
The arms of the day
I believe my shirt is wearing thin
And change is what I believe in

When I was young and give and take
And foolish said my fool awake
When I was young and fever fell my spirit
I will not tell
You're on your honour
On your honour
Trust in your calling
Make sure your calling's true
Think of others
The others think of you
Silly rule, golden words make practice practice makes perfect
Perfect is a fault and fault lines change
I believe my humour's wearing thin
And change is what I believe in
I believe my shirt is wearing thin
And change is what I believe in

When I was young and full of grace
As spirited a rattlesnake
When I was young and fever fell my spirit
I will not tell
You're on your honour
On your honour
I believe in example
I believe my throat hurts
Example is the checker to the key
I believe my humor's wearing thin
And I believe the poles are shifting
I believe my shirt is wearing thin
And change is what I believe in

4 comments:

Gavin said...

To each their own. I loathe REM. I'm trying to think of a band I dislike more. I never got to their early stuff because the water was poisoned for me by such awful songs as "Everybody Hurts". I know it's sacrilege, but that's how I roll on this topic.

jcstark said...

D-Man,
If I'm preaching to the choir forgive me, but I think the D-Man should take a listen to Big Star. Arguably The definitive American band. R.E.M has always listed them as one of their top influences, as well as most indie and alternative acts of the last 30 years. No other band has done so much with such little output. In just three albums they managed to leave a lasting legacy that rivals any band of the era. I know The D-Man will appreciate the sweet pop hooks and crafty lyrics from Alex Chilton, who tragically passed before they "made it". For what its worth...

The D Man said...

G-Reese: R.E.M. started with two perfect albums (Murmer and Reckoning), detoured with a fantastic third album (Fables of the Reconstruction), recorded a sublime fourth album, in Indiana of all places (Lifes Rich Pageant), produced another perfect album (Document), started getting major attention with albums six and seven (Green and Out of Time) and then, finally, created their most popular masterpiece, Automatic for the People. Album number eight.

So you didn't like "Everybody Hurts." Fair enough. So Michael Stipe wasn't David Coverdale. No doubt. But realize you are crying foul at album number eight. You would be well served, especially given your stellar music background, to hit R.E.M. (hard) albums one through five. You will be happy that you did. So strikingly original, so lyrically adept, so beyond the pale melodic, it is hard to imagine what American music would sound like without the reinventiveness of perhaps the most democratic four-piece of all time.

I have a feeling the advice of one critic regarding Automatic for the People may apply to you (and many others): "This is a work necessary for every cellar, waiting to be pulled up when the biased bullshit of adolescence has passed." Give it another shot, in the SUV, with the kids in the backseat. You can even skip "Everybody Hurts" if you like. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Especially at tracks ten and eleven.

Stark the Vinyl Shark: The D Man likes Big Star. Their output was too limited in scope to be considered the definitive American band. But they are certainly worthy of admiration and influenced a host of artists. (Ryan Adams also comes to mind).

No other band has done so much with so little output? Now that is bold, considering the likes of Joy Division, My Bloody Valentine, and Arcade Fire, to name just a few. But The D Man feels you.

And you should know G-Reese defended your beard's honor in an email chain the other day. (Speaking of something that has done so much with such little output).

jcstark said...

D-Man -
Dare I say "Murmer", "Reckoning", "Fables of the Reconstruction", "Lifes Rich Pageant", and "Document" all deserve the Perfect Album title? I appreciate the vision and artistry of R.E.M, not only trendsetters but artists in the truest sense. I should listen to them more often.

I appreciate you bringing to mind My Bloody Valentine ("Loveless" is a all time favorite of mine) and Joy Division. I understand where you are coming from, no doubt that Big Star has had more time to influence more people. I picked up the new Arcade Fire today, certainly they have achieved what most bands hope to in a career, with only two albums; the exciting thing now is that they are still working. I would love to know what Big Star would have accomplished with a full career, but we can't play that game. All I know is I gave my Big Star Greatest Hits CD to Chris Jones the other day and it blew his mind.

G-Reese -
I'm with you on "Everybody Hurts", it gets an immediate turn of the dial when I'm in the Honda. But do look into those first R.E.M albums again, you may find something interesting.

Also, thank you for defending my beard's honor. Which begs the question, defend it from whom?