September 1, 2010

Song of the Week



We Used To Wait

That is the coolest, spookiest, most haunting, transcendant thing I have seen in some time. So said the Rizzo after watching the ingenious, interactive multi-media experience that is the video for Arcade Fire's "We Used To Wait," from the band's third album The Suburbs. The short film from Chris Milk is called "The Wilderness Downtown," and it takes viewers on a nostalgic-winged journey to (and maybe away from) their childhood homes. Backed by an absolutely epic song from the Montreal collective, the video is deeply moving. After typing in 1386 East 600 South, The D Man cannot put into words how the song made him feel--too personal, too foreboding, too beautiful, all at once. Homesick and grateful to be gone. But I can share with you what I wrote to my former self: hang in there . . . it gets better.

2 comments:

Desmond Dekker said...

D Man,

I picked "The Suburbs" up last weekend so that I would have some new music for my business trip to Richmond this week. I have now listened to it from start to finish several times, and I think that it's really solid. All 16 tracks are well composed and come together perfectly to create a great album. I highly recommend it to all your readers.

Desmond

The D Man said...

Excellent. A word to the wise is sufficient, and we (hopefully) have many wise listeners among our loyal cadre of readers. Always nice to hear from you.