May 9, 2011

Stark the Vinyl Shark

Joe Stark hails from Minnesota. He collects vinyl. He shaved his beard and didn't like it. So he is growing it back. That is what you need to know. Recently, The D Man and Stark had the following email exchange that led to the Vinyl Shark landing a guest spot on The D Man's Music.
  • Stark: Have you even listened to Bat out of Hell? You have dished out some pretty heavy judgment on the 'Loaf today . . .
  • The D Man: Everyone has heard Meatloaf, Joe. He is fun (or funny) for a short time. Like some Broadway plays. But Bat Out of Hell has sold a hell of a lot of copies. Feel free to burn me a copy if you are so incensed. (Taylor Swift writes her own songs).
  • Stark: Not incensed at all! I will burn you a copy since it belongs in every collection.
  • The D Man: I will listen to it for a lark and then immediately dispose of it--that is probably the best I can do.
  • Stark: It's timeless Rock & Roll. I own three copies of the LP because I wore through the first one I bought in the summer of 2004.
  • The D Man: Not sure if it's Rock & Roll, but it does use some of the same instruments. Can rock be born out of writing workshops and bad plays? But I get the attraction. It's like Wicked with guitars.
  • Stark: Nothing wrong with Wicked.
  • The D Man: But it ain't Rock & Roll.
  • Stark: Rock & Roll is more than a sound, it's a lifestyle. That's the beauty of it.
  • The D Man: Exactly my point. Is having someone pen your overwrought stage songs ala Little Mermaid that lifestyle?
  • Stark: Frank Sinatra didn't write lyrics either, and he was Rock & Roll.
  • The D Man: Meatloaf ain't Frank Sinatra. Good luck with that comparison.
  • Stark: I just really enjoy Meatloaf.
  • The D Man: Now that is about the only real defense you have. Run to the whims of your fancy.
  • Stark: Feel free to handicap my music criticism accordingly.
  • The D Man: I'm thinking I need a new feature on the blog with email strings like this.
  • Stark: I'd be happy to contribute. but you can't just make me look bad with your fancy lawyer powers.
So it begins. Enjoy Stark the Vinyl Shark.

(Note: Meatloaf can currently be seen on Celebrity Apprentice. And The D Man knows every word to "Part of Your World.")

No comments: