December 1, 2012

The D Man's Top Twenty Albums of 2012

Among my few gifts, The D Man can recall vast amounts of music, melodies, lyrics, and artists.  Even more impressive, I can summon thousands of specific memories inextricably tied with the music I was listening to at the time, no matter how random or meaningful those memories might be.  "Maneater" by Hall & Oates?  Standing in a dimly-lit barn for a Halloween party, when I couldn't have been more than four years old.  "Captain of Her Heart" by Double?  Sitting in the Ford pick-up with my brothers after fielding grounders at the Spanish Fork baseball park.  "Rush, Rush" by Paula Abdul?  Talking with friends on the college quad during summer basketball camp at BYU.  "Just Another Day" by Jon Secada?  Hanging in Chad Hall's basement and expecting his Mom to come and tell us to turn off VH1.  "Crossroads" by Bone Thugs N Harmony?  Chilling in a St. George hotel room with my high school basketball teammates in between games.  You get the idea.  With the music playing, these and countless other moments stand in high relief, etched forever into my mind, some almost three decades later.

Of course, other musical moments carry more meaning in my inner, personal narrative.  Listening to the Beach Boys while driving to California with my family for summer vacations.  Making a music video for "It's Tricky" in our basement with Rizzo, Lizard, and J, complete with Adidas sweatsuits, gold chains, and killer footwork.  (Need to get that fresh joint up on Youtube!).  Watching "Undone (The Sweater Song)" debut at midnight on MTVs 120 Minutes and discovering the key to junior high.  Attending my first Sting concert in Park City and chanting over and over again, Be yourself, no matter what they say.  Listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots for the first time in my car and smiling for an hour straight.  Driving to early-morning law school classes through the fall fields of Ohio and being carried by Sun Kil Moon.  Watching my boys dance to "Gobbledigook."

Music helps me defy the ravages of time.  It fixes my memories in vivid contrast to the thousands of experiences that I have forgotten, suspending real moments before me as I survey the arc of my life.  Perhaps this is what I like best about music: linked with my experiences, unique and mundane, it carves out reality that I will remember long after the haze of memory has swept over my senses.

This year will be no different.  Twenty years from now, I will easily recall listening to Nocturne while driving to work that one morning at 6:00 a.m.  I will remember Victoria Legrand's voice expanding across the summer concert lawn, filling up all of the empty space as I looked up at the stars.  I will see the green bayou running past us in the car as my Dad and brothers soak in the anthem for our trip to New Orleans.  I will hear Brandon Flowers every time I end up in Southern California.  These and other moments will never fade from my view.  How could they?  They are the stuff of my life.  And music was there.

13 comments:

Jason Schwarz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Schwarz said...

You've taken it to the next level with these last few posts! Thanks for expanding my love of music. Dman is the man!

The D Man said...

Thanks, Schwarzy! Because you are always a few levels ahead in the game, that means something.

J said...

Do you really have the "It's Tricky" video? Post that bad boy.

Also, as corny as "me too" always sounds, there are certain albums that I listened to for the first time and I have vivid memories related to that music. I always try to have a new album when I go to a new place. Whether its Jack Johnson in Wilmington, NC, Arcade Fire in San Francisco, or Postal Service in Gilbert AZ.

The D Man said...

We do, indeed, have the "It's Tricky" video. The Internet debut is pending royalty negotiations with the rap icons. Because it is so fresh, they may be paying us.

No need to apologize for being corny. The memory-enhancing power of an album can be potent.

Jason Schwarz said...

Loving #19. This site is why the iPad was invented.

Kyle Dart said...

D Man: Christmas time is one of my favorite times of year for many reasons. Your annual Top Albums of the Year series is one of them. Thanks from a faithful follower in Denver. Hope you are well my friend.

glindsay6 said...

DMan, please accept this as notice of a potential claim by "Lizard" if the "it's tricky" video is aired before my approval. Mr. Dart walked into my office with the question, "do you remember being a part of an 'It's tricky' video with Dman?" I responded that I couldn't confirm or deny the allegation, but I got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can only blame peer pressure if I had anything to do with it. So, prepare for an injunction being filed in district court if such a video hits the airwaves without my prior consent.

The D Man said...

Too funny, Lizard!

Unidentified sources have confirmed that you were, indeed, involved in the aforementioned "It's Tricky" video. But these same sources will not confirm whether you make an appearance in the said video, or whether you were merely handling the filming duties behind the thirty-five pound Panasonic camcorder that had to be carried on your shoulders to obtain proper footage.

Chad said...

The DMan liveth! Thanks for the support, my friend.

The D Man said...

Thanks, Chad! Here is to more great records in your future! Because Move, Lord is a significant achievement.

Great job on the radio, too. You were well prepared and ready to throw down with your "inner Liz Lemon."

J said...

If Lizard blocks the release of "It's Tricky", I'll bring my own cause of action against him, for Loss of Stardom, with a request for all related damages.

The D Man said...

Fair point. Sort of like Loss of Consortium, except you would have lost out on all kinds of non-physical expressions of adorement. On second thought, depending on how bright your star blazed, you could probably bring both claims.