February 14, 2015

Classic D Man: The Church

Starfish
The Church is one of the most underrated bands of all time.  Though titans in Australia, the band is largely loved everywhere else by in-the-know, classic alternative heads, which means The D Man is a definitely a fan.  "Under the Milky Way" is one of my all-time favorite songs, "Reptile" and the rest of the tracks on the 1988 classic Starfish still resonate, and I was easily the only kid in my junior high that bought 1994's Sometime Anywhere.  The band just released its 25th album and Steve Kilbey's voice still sounds like a conspiratorial shaman, dispensing wisdom over psychedelic, shimmering guitars.  That said, I had never really listened to the band's 1982 and 1984 albums, The Blurred Crusade (second) and Remote Luxury (fourth).  The band's distinctive sound emerges on both records, reveling in a kind of mystical, exquisite guitar pop, and I've been lost in the deep cuts all week.

No comments: