November 29, 2020

The D Man's Top Twenty Albums of 2020

Music kept me sane in 2020.  During the initial stages of quarantine in March, April, and May, I deep dived into New Order, The Radio Dept., Elbow, and American Football.  Those incredibly giving bands carried me through some discouraging moments and accompanied me as I often sought refuge: aimless drives around the lake, sprints at the track, bike rides up the trail, and long walks with the dogs.

I wore headphones through long stretches of my work day at home.  I listened to everything, hoping to drown out some endless summer noise from the kids, but mostly to bury the unnerving and low-grade sense of unease from long and isolated days.  It worked more often than not.

I sorely missed the personal release and community uplift of live music.  The crop of record releases looked like it might be skimpy for a while, but it ended up much better than expected in quantity and quality.  Thank goodness.  The Killers, The 1975, and Tame Impala dropped large-scale records.  Taylor Swift released her surprise "indie" record.  Sufjan Stevens and Fleet Foxes arrived later in the year, sound tracking our discord and uplift, respectively.  Doves returned with a #1 U.K. record.  And small but powerful records abounded from the likes of Innocence Mission, Adrianne Lenker, and Denison Witmer.

Music is a balm.  Enjoy the The D Man's Top Twenty Albums of 2020.  

2 comments:

Ryan L said...

Glad you’re back!

The D Man said...

Thanks, I appreciate it! We needed some relief and distraction more than ever this year.