August 23, 2009

2. "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes (2003)



Since 2000, no one has reinvigorated the tired notion of rock'n'roll more than Jack White. Our favorite Stripe has given us more authentic, steeped-in-blues, gut-busting rock'n'roll songs than any other artist this decade. Don't believe The D Man? Check out the following starter kit:
No song personifies The White Stripe's prolific downpour more than "Seven Nation Army." Equipped with the best guitar shred of the past ten years, this song battles with rock'n'roll gods, be it in Witchita or at Hells Gate.



Why listen? Real simple. The best guitar line + the best rock vocal = the best rock song of the decade. Can anyone really argue with this? "Seven Nation Army" overcomes the anxiety of tired rock tropes by reformulating the same rock tropes into something potent, thanks to the imaginative consciousness of a master of the genre.

Something else? I suppose you could listen to your old man's Foghat collection.

4 comments:

bruce said...

Speaking of great guitar shreds, have you heard the live version of "Tom Joad" with The Boss and Tom Morello? Gavin's brother, sister, brother-in-law and I saw it at the Honda Center April 2008. Not really a guitar guy -- I prefer the words, hence my lack of enthusiasm for Icelandic bands -- but Morello was unbelievable.

The D Man said...

Great song. Morello can play a fiercely distinctive guitar too. I remember when Rage Against the Machine played at the Spanish Fork fairgrounds when I was in high school. We listened to the entire show across the street at my Grandmother's house. Needless to say, it was all just noise to most of the good residents there.

I saw Jack White do one solo shred with the Dead Weather this year. Phenomenal. But I still need to see The White Stripes live. Jack is this decade's guitar god. And unlike many great axemen, he can write some seriously great songs as well.

bruce said...

If I recall correctly, Rage Against the Machine caused a bit of a stir in Utah when you were in high school. I suspect that "across the street" was as close as you got.

The D Man said...

You're exactly right.