May 20, 2010

Five Things

Heading for the weekend. Life is good. Still like music too.
  • With twenty-four contestants left, The D Man predicted that Lee Dewyze and Casey James would be the last two men standing in American Idol. Easy peasy. Lee Dewyze, a naturally-gifted vocalist and former paint sales clerk from Chicago, should now win the entire thing.
  • Best hair metal song of the moment: "Last Summer's Evil" by TNT. !!!!!!!!!!
  • Janelle Monae's "Tightrope" (featuring Big Boi) is some Outkastic funk.
  • Band of Horses hits the sweet spot everytime. Check out an electric version or chilled-out acoustic version of "Laredo."
  • "Empire Ants" from Plastic Beach is an incredible track straddling two seemingly disparate soundscapes. Damon Albarn's production values are vivid.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say i predicted that Crystal and Lee would be in the final! Who i would like to win? i am still undecided!

jcstark said...

I picked up the new Band of Horses last night, its too bad "Laredo" is the only standout. Is it just me, or does their lead singer looks like someone who would roll with the Manson's?

The D Man said...

Lee all the way.

As for BofH, I am really enjoying Infinite Arms. Played it three times through today while cruising around.

Desmond Dekker said...

D Man,

I have to agree that the Horses' new one is not as good as their last effort, but it's still worth the price of admission.

Also, I can't help but ask, Where's the love for The Black Keys? Their new effort, Brothers, is excellent. They're also one of the best live bands I've seen—you'd never think that two white dudes from the Midwest could generate so much sound. I can't wait to see them again when they pass through Chocolate City.

Desmond

The D Man said...

The Black Keys have never done it for The D Man. Only in spots. Always felt like a derivative of better bands, so I fell of the wagon years ago. But I'm willing to give the new album a try.

Desmond Dekker said...

D Man,

Yes, I urge you to get back on that wagon—you won’t regret it with “Brothers.”

By the way, have you seen this clip of Pearl Jam performing Dylan’s “All Along the Watchtower” with Band of Horses’ Ben Bridwell? If not, enjoy.

Desmond

The D Man said...

Great clip! I was just getting ready to throw up Vedder and Bridwell doing "Hunger Strike" this last week from The Garden.