October 19, 2010

Song of the Week

The Age of Adz

"Futile Devices" is the gorgeous introduction to Sufjan Steven's intergalactic apocrypha, The Age of Adz. The D Man thought he should share the 25-minute, five-suite closer "Impossible Soul," but he understood that your workplace perusal would not allow for such high adventure.

Words are futile devices. Yet somehow Stevens fleshes out the longing that we feel for someone so close to us, be it mother or lover. Its been a long time since I memorized your face . . . and don't say "I love you" without saying it out loud. Enjoy the fan video below.

2 comments:

bruce said...

I know that "Impossible Soul" didn't end up being what I expected; it's really 4 or 5 pretty good songs strung together - more of a medley. I was anticipating Kid A-esque weirdness. I also like "I Walked" a lot. I recently tried to explain SS to someone my age by comparing him with The Moody Blues. That doesn't really work other than the symphonic elements.

The D Man said...

No doubt SS (and this album in particular) is inventive, wholly original, and difficult to compare with anyone past or present. I've really been digging "Too Much," "Age of Adz," and "Now That I'm Older" too. Heck, I've been digging the whole thing. I'm looking forward to seeing him live on November 1. It will certainly be a different experience than the Illinois tour, but I am already getting distracted and anxious. Can't wait.