June 6, 2011

Five Things

The D Man's birthday is this week. Just starting to hit his prime. Just starting to discover what makes him tick. As for the music . . .
  • The D Man hit Iron & Wine over the weekend. The lo-fi folkie brought backup singers, saxophones, and some funk-jams to his set, comprised mostly of the gold-dappled pop from his latest effort, Kiss Each Other Clean. Even a few of the oldies were reworked and given an up-tempo sheen. The outfit sounded great, but left The D Man pining for at least a few hushed solos. A few birds stealing bread.
  • My Morning Jacket was featured on VH1 Storytellers last week. Not your usual cable fare. Jim James, another bearded guitar god of sorts, brought some American thunder and mixed in some new tunes from Circuital.
  • So Coldplay has a new single out. "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall." Apparently, the band's charts, graphs, and analyses led them to believe the kids are digging keyboards, synthy vocals, and other retro stylings, right down to the rainbow color palette and choice of font. As long as Gwyneth doesn't do the backup vocals, I suppose we can manage.
  • Death Cab released another video in support of Codes and Keys. Check out "Home Is A Fire."
  • Ukelele Songs. Not exactly the most thrilling invite. But we at least owe Eddie Vedder a listen, right? No matter how disorienting it might get?

4 comments:

Desmond Dekker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jcstark said...

After a weekend of listening to MMJ I'm going to go ahead and give you my take as well. "Circuital" is a solid outing from MMJ - but it dosen't soar as high as "It Still Moves" or "Z". That being said, I feel its a better outing than "Evil Urges" - an album that (according to the Vinyl Shark) fell short in a number of areas. Jim sounds great on "Circuital" and I'm sure these tracks kill live - lets hope for a stop in SLC soon.

Desmond Dekker said...

D Man,

I finally got around to giving Circuital a good listen. I like a lot of the tracks, especially "Holdin' on to Black Metal." That said, I think that the album falls short of Z and Evil Urges. What do you think?

Also, I checked out Ryan Bingham last week in Richmond, VA, at The National, one of the best venues in the country (Google it). He put on a really good show, playing almost every track from Mescalito and Junky Star. Have you heard his stuff?

I haven't commented in a while, but I enjoy your posts. Keep it up!

Desmond

The D Man said...

The D Man received a $100 gift certificate to the record store for his birthday. I will be cashing it in this weekend for Circuital and several other records I have needed to get my hands on. I appreciate the input.

I will have to check out Bingham. And I have actually heard of The National in Richmond. Wish we had a counterpart here!