September 11, 2011

Music and Memory




The D Man will always remember.

Just a few months earlier, I proposed to Mrs. D Man on the top of the Empire State Building. I gazed down Manhattan and admired the brilliant strength of those mighty towers. It was a beautiful and clear day in May, not unlike that day in September. I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me, surrounded by New Yorkers and tourists. She gave me the most excited hug of her life.

On September 11, 2001, my brothers were working downtown, on the 50th and 52nd floors, just a few blocks away. From his office, Rip saw the second plane hit and immediately made his way to his family in Brooklyn Heights. Separated in the chaos, Rizzo saw the towers come down from below. He made his way to the shoreline and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, seeking out his brother, covered in the terrible ash from the unspeakable evil. For our family, like so many others, it was a day of anger, worry, and heartbreak.

Upon reflection, my emotions are still raw and can easily make their way to the surface. Ten years later, my thoughts go out to all of the brave men and women. To all of their families and loved ones. To this great country, so capable and full of goodness.

Enjoy Ryan Adams "New York, New York."

1 comment: