September 21, 2011

R.E.M.


Few, if any, bands have had a ten-album run like R.E.M. From 1983's Murmur to 1996's New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, and Bill Berry created something very special. The inventors of indie-rock? College-rock? Alternative music? One thing is certain: R.E.M. is one of the most important, authentic, and inspiring bands of the past thirty years. What else can you really say? Thanks, guys.

Tonight, The D Man plans on listening to Reckoning and Automatic for the People, two of my favorite R.E.M. records. Enjoy some great songs that I have gravitated to over the years, culled from right off the top of my head.

1 comment:

Mensch said...

My R.E.M. journey started in 1983, when I purchased Murmur based solely on a stellar review in Rolling Stone. And my musical life has never been the same.

They lost me after Bill Berry called it quits, but it was an amazing run.

R.I.P. R.E.M.