December 10, 2011

The D Man's Top Twenty Albums of 2011

2011. The sax is back! Chillwave disintegrates! Guitars get golden! Electronic music goes live! The headlines for a fine year in popular music were plentiful. Kanye and Jay-Z produce the first stadium rap album. Bon Iver creates another American folk-pop masterpiece. M83 fulfills the promises of its cinematic splendor. Radiohead defies expectations (again). Kurt Vile, The War on Drugs, and My Morning Jacket demonstrate that the axe is mightier than the sword. Fleet Foxes decide that the Beach Boys should add Simon & Garfunkel as bedfellows. Neon Indian, Washed Out, and Toro y Moi reprogram chillwave, consequences be damned.

Transitions were inevitable, too. R.E.M called it a day. (Or a few decades, to be clear). Ryan Adams started breaking hearts again. Destroyer went cosmopolitan, while Death Cab became pedestrian. Iron & Wine added some sax (of course) and left behind the quiet. Beastie Boys returned, still not quite adults. St. Vincent said she wasn't a cheerleader any more. The Drive-by Truckers, well, thankfully, maybe they didn't change.

The D Man enjoyed much of the new music--and most of the changes--in 2011. He also decided that, if a listener is honest, it is difficult to truly enjoy (and explore) more than about 40 albums a year. (Unless, of course, listening to music is your full-time job, which sort of sounds awful. Where would you turn to escape? To drive off in your car?). With that understanding, there are certainly several worthy albums that I missed, which always leaves me feeling a little unfulfilled or overwhelmed.

I wrote a poem several years ago with the following line: so many girls that I'll never kiss, so many mothers that I'll never miss. That sentiment also seems to sum up my feelings about all of the great records that I may never hear. My resulting wistfulness knows no bounds. But we only have so much time. So where to start? I suppose, in the end, that I take some comfort in this: my Top Twenty is always a fine place to begin the begin.

*An asterisk will be placed by every album that uses a healthy (or even judicious) dose of saxophone. Trumpets and other horns count, too.

2 comments:

George said...

Just thought that I'd let you know, I've been following your blog since I was in high school, and you've seriously opened my eyes and ears to some incredible music. So thank you D Man. Thank you very much.

P.S. It's always awesome to read about the concerts we've unwittingly attended at the same time. (Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Beach House)
Thanks again!

The D Man said...

George, thanks for the kind note. I am happy to hear we have been sharing some of the same great musical experiences. That's what this blog is (hopefully) all about.

At our next show together, you will have to find me and say hello. I will be the one trying to not look too cool and failing miserably.