December 10, 2011

4. Helplessness Blues / Fleet Foxes


Helplessness Blues

Fleet Foxes' eponymous debut was a stunning delight, one of the best albums of the last ten years, and arguably one of the finest folk-pop records of all time. The Northwest band's second album, Helplessness Blues, is a thrilling indication that these musicians are in it for the long haul. So without further discussion, The D Man's favorite moments from the overwhelming abundance of melodies and harmonies.
  • Montezuma. When Pecknold sings and my mother and father in the beautiful, melodic opener.
  • Bedouin Dress. Not sure what that instrument is, but it sounds like a snake-charmer.
  • Sim Sala Bim. The opening stanza. He was so kind, such a gentleman . . . . Makes me feel like I'm sitting in some windswept parlor, something foreboding to come. Then it does.
  • Battery Kinzie. I woke up one morning!
  • The Plains / Bitter Dancer. The third act. Defying death incarnate. At arms length, I will hold you there. Enter bursting ooohs and aaahs.
  • Helplessness Blues. Arguably the most thrilling mid-song shift of the year; the song's second half is a fleeting burst of imaginative clarity and harmony. If I had an orchard, I'd work 'til I'm sore.
  • Lorelai. The lilting music, the lush harmonies, all of it, right now. I was old news to you then, oooold neeeews, oooold neeeews to you then.
  • The Shrine / An Argument. Another exciting transition. Another brilliant, ancient-sounding song.
  • Grown Ocean. The swervy guitar licks. The building sense of urgency. Leaves me in shambles of joy.

No comments: