December 12, 2010

4. High Violet / The National


High Violet

It takes an ocean not to break. The National's High Violet comes in supple waves. Of sophisticated post-rock. Of anthemic breakdowns. Of mega-chorus brilliance. The album's craftsmanship is mature and assured, while the lyrics bely any sense of confidence in the wake of relationships, families, and communities on the edge. And while the tone is somewhat ominous, High Violet's energy somehow feels brighter, more magnanimous than previous efforts.

In addition to the dark-hued grandeur, the songs also possesses subtle charms that, like earlier releases, continue to take shape and grow with each listen. As the songs coalesce and reveal deeply-felt, personal projections, one gets the distinct impression that The National may be the best band playing today. Indeed, the album lives as a dense collection of brilliant songs. And there may not be a better three-song run (this year) than the album's fifth, sixth, and seventh tracks, the brooding backbone of High Violet's world-weary vibe.

"Afraid of Everyone," with emblematic American metaphors, describes a family man's paralyzing fears, and as the song reaches a foreboding crescendo ("your voice is swallowing my soul, soul, soul"), one is left wondering whether it is a call to battle or a plea for retreat:

I'll defend my family with my orange umbrella
I'm afraid of everyone, I'm afraid of everyone
With my shiny new star
Spangled tennis shoes on
I'm afraid of everyone, I'm afraid of everyone

With my kid on my shoulders I'll try
Not to hurt anybody I like
But I don't have the drugs to sort
I don't have the drugs to sort it out.

On "Bloodbuzz Ohio," Matt Berninger's narrow baritone takes flight with (a swarm of bees) and an exquisite rock'n'roll arrangement that lesser bands scarce can comprehend. An ode to home and distance (most of the band originally hails from Ohio), the song's centerpiece is a kind of physical, spoken-out-loud catharsis, a personal confession, an admission that resistance to love is (finally) impossible:

I still owe money to the money to the money I owe
I never thought about love when I thought about home
I still owe money to the money to the money I owe
The floors are falling out from everybody I know
I'm on a bloodbuzz
Yes I am
I'm on a bloodbuzz

And "Lemonworld" depicts a young man who gave his heart to the Army ("only sentimental thing I could think of") and is now drowning in the meaningless pursuits and material illusions of those around around him.

I'm too tired to drive anyway, anyway right now
Do you care if I stayed?
You can put on your bathing suits
And I'll try to find somethin' on this thing that means nothin' enough
Losin' my breath

You and your sister live in a Lemonworld
I want to sit in and die.

High Violet is not kids stuff. The album's textured production, lyrical heft, and instrumental sophistication offer little solace to those merely seeking a good time, an easy way out. The National provide few answers, other than a sense of relief at getting the right words out, and doing the songs justice. The music requires a willingness to descend into vivid realms of meaning and mood. The end result is heavy, thrilling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am probably the only person in South africa that has this album...Thanks for introducing me to good music!!